Pogo by Walt Kelley

I had read the stories on the course resources page, but the trip to the library brought me to Pogo, I don't exactly know why, but I became hooked on this particular strip. Visually it hooked me with the quality of the drawings and compositions panel to panel, the craftsmanship in Walt Kelley's work comes from his background at Disney. Taking the deep dive made me more interested in these characters lives, trying to figure out what they are saying in swamp speech; but also their adventures are very amusing, very large cast of interesting characters. I think that also comes from his time at Disney, the ability to create a large cast of interesting and fun characters. I had read that this series is also a political satire, but I think that is in later volumes, I think Walt Kelley is just fleshing out their world in the first couple of years, before challenging the status quo. I love this series so much that I will be purchasing the collected volumes to add to my own, really fun reading!

Comments

Popular Posts