Comics as literature

I love reading Warren Ellis's work, it is funny because as a comic book nerd, him, Brian K. Vaughn, Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore make me feel like I am learning to read better, in the same way someone who reads novels would feel. They are the reason I expect more from comics and why I do not really read superhero comics as much as I used. I love defending comics, because I get to bring up my favorite writers to possibly entice new readers into check them out. The stories they tell do not just seem more intimate and human, what is best in these writers is expanding realms of thought beyond the scope of superhero tropes. They use the medium to tell stories that they could not do in a novel with just as much density, and I believe these writers have dabbled in writing novels themselves, especially Neil Gaiman.

Comments

Popular Posts