Blacksad

I read Silent Hell and then Amarillo based on a good friend's recommendation, I must say that the writing seemed more sophisticated in Silent Hill than in Amarillo. I personally enjoyed the noir style writing and interpretations of the characters. What is really cool, is how on the nose these noir elements are, through the use of Disney-esque anthropomorphism. It turned, what to me is stereotypically campy and cute into something hard-boiled and gritty, and I think this artist had a background at Disney; which leads me to believe the resemblance is on purpose to subvert those notions. There was something about Amarillo that seemed as though it was missing a step, as I reading the story, it felt like it was slapped together because I was not as invested in the antagonist or his plight against his abusive friend. That being said I thought the art style had been elevated to another level, similar to how John Cassaday's growth as an artist was on display in Planetary.

Comments

Popular Posts