Underground Comics

I was actually reading some writings by Sigmund Freud before reading these comics, he was talking about how we repress our more primal and sexual natures in ways that society has deemed as proper. An imbalance occurs when that repression reaches a tipping point and then we unleash it in ways that may have consequences. I do not believe these comics represent the latter part, but I do think there is some aspect of acting out due to repression, especially in Tijuana Bibles' overtly sexual nature. Robert Crumb's work seemed to be a lashing out at the status quo that was widely accepted in comics; even if the themes of the comics and use of stereotype was extreme, I thought the craft behind it was well made. A couple of other stories were severely lacking to me in terms of the quality not just with the drawing skill but some of the words were physically hard to read to me. I do appreciate this spectrum of comics although it is certainly not my type of read.

Comments

Popular Posts